My Dear Tom,
Your eyes have been plucked from you. It is no fault of your own that you are where you are. All of our history is like this, the sons of one generation are punished for their father's sins. But we cannot blame the fathers alone, just as we cannot blame the whites for our condition. We were given warnings that we did not heed...
The owl came to me again in my dream. He sat at the foot of my bed and cleaned his feathers until I woke. And he spoke to me. He brought me a message to bring to you. Listen Tom. Here is what he has to say to you:
You are a boy without eyes, a child of the darkness. You know things that you have no businsess knowing, you know the bad part of a good man. He has taken the things from you that you have loved. He has stolen the boy from your heart, he has stolen time, and peace, which are the precious gifts given to the young. You are the blind owl who can no longer hunt in the night.
Daniel Yodi was once a good man. I believe there was goodness in him always. Beneath the drink, and those drugs he made...Your father was a kind and gentle boy. When he was young he would not hunt. He kept rabbits and would not kill snakes. I don't know what happened to him Tom. It would be easy to tell you that it was the death of your mother, whom he too loved. But tragedy makes the weak weaker and the strong stronger and I'm afraid Daniel had already been weakened by something I have yet to understand...
Tom Yodi, you are a blinded bird, but remember, you managed to have kept your wings. That is what you did that night. I gave you that knife because my father gave it to me. It is a thing fathers do for their sons, an instinct of survival that is now lost in this world. Little did I know that it would save your life and save your wings. The knives of our fathers grow strong over time. I have that knife. I am keeping it for your son.
Granfather.
No comments:
Post a Comment