Sunday, February 06, 2005

October 18, 1975 - Sweet Medicine

Dear Tom,

You have not replied to me. Yet you have not sent back my letters. That is a good sign. You need not write. For now, just read. There is still much for you to learn, and much to remember.

Do you remember when you were a boy and I told you about Sweet Medicine? He was the greatest of our kind. If I can, I will send you books, papers about him, so that you might discover again where it is you are from.

Remember that there was a time when we were proud of who we were.

Remember when I, your true father, taught you how to shoot and skin a deer.

Remember Cathy Lake, the woman we all loved. She used to hold you in her arms and sing to you in the old language. She would sing to you about the great things, the old ways that are all but gone.

There is newness in the old Tom, don't be afraid to go back.

The sky above us, and the mineral earth below, they have never changed. There are answers for you in the coyote's call, in owl-talk, in the breeze whispers. They cannot take that from you.

* * *

No comments: